The secret to a great focaccia bread is great tasting olive oil – It doesn’t have to be expensive, something light and fruity is perfect.
Preparation: 45 minutes
Baking: 15 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour
Servings: makes a roughly 25cm focaccia to feed 2-3 people
1 packet Active dry yeast (10 g)
250 ml Warm water
785 ml SUPREME White bread flour
5 ml White sugar
5 ml Salt
5 ml Garlic powder
5 ml Dried oreganum
2.5 ml Dried thyme
2.5 ml Dried basil
1.25 ml Ground black pepper
15 ml Vegetable oil
30 ml Olive oil
Salt flakes & fresh rosemary
1. Mix yeast and water in a small bowl. Let it proof for 10 minutes (until bubbles begin to form).
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, salt, garlic powder, oreganum, thyme, basil and black pepper. Add yeast mix and vegetable oil to dry ingredients and combine.
3. When dough has pulled together, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
4. Lightly oil a larger bowl, place dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place for 25 minutes.
5. Pre-heat oven to 220°C.
6. Punch dough down and place on a greased baking sheet. Pat dough into a 1½ cm thick rectangle (doesn’t have to be perfect). Using your knuckle, make indentations in the dough about 1½ cm apart, then prick dough with a fork.
7. Brush top with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt flakes & stab with Fresh Rosemary.
8. Bake for 13 – 15 minutes until golden brown.
15 g Grated parmesan cheese
1½ cups Grated mozzarella cheese