PARMESAN & ROSEMARY CHEESE STRAWS
The ideal party snack, with this easy recipe you will never serve store-bought cheese straws again. These can be made days ahead of time and just warmed up to crisp.
Preparation: 3 hours 30 minutes
Baking: 15 minutes
Ready In: +- 4 hours
Servings: 20 Straws
250 g SUPREME Cake Wheat Flour
Pinch of salt
Squeeze of lemon juice
150 ml Cold water
250 g Butter, cut into slices
80 – 100 ml Dijon mustard
1 cup Grated cheddar
½ cup Grated parmesan
10 ml Paprika
20 ml Rosemary, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, mix flour, salt and lemon juice together. Add the water to form a dough. Knead for two minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangular shape, about 50 cm long x 10 cm wide. Place butter in the centre of the dough. Fold the top half of the dough over the butter and secure on the sides with a bit of water. Fold the bottom half of the pastry over the butter and the already folded half of the dough, forming a small rectangle. Turn the dough 90 degrees and repeat the process (without the butter, as this has already been incorporated).
- Chill dough after every 2 rolls and folds. Repeat this process 6 times.
- Roll out pastry to ½ cm thick, and using a pastry brush, paint the pastry with the mustard. Mix all the cheeses and the paprika and rosemary together. Sprinkle onto the mustard and secure by gently pressing onto the mustard.
- Cut into 1 cm thick strips and gently twist the pastry. Place onto a greased baking tray.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for 12 – 15 minutes depending, until the pastry is cooked through and golden in colour.