COCONUT JAM SQUARES
These squares are the real deal – thick buttery biscuit with sweet, sticky jam on top. Try it with strawberry jam too!
Preparation: 30 minutes
Baking: 30 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour
Servings: 12 Squares
250 g SUPREME Cake Wheat Flour
Pinch of salt
5 ml Baking powder
125 g Butter
100 g Sugar
60 ml Water
5 ml Vanilla essence
180 ml Apricot jam for spreading
80 ml Desiccated coconut plus couple tablespoons for sprinkling
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
2. Sieve all the dry ingredients together. Rub the butter into the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Beat the egg, water & vanilla essence together and add to the flour/butter mixture. Mix until they have formed a tight dough. Reserve about a half of the dough and store in the freezer.
4. Press the remaining dough into a greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and use a pastry brush to spread on the desired amount of apricot jam, and then grate the reserved frozen dough over the cooked dough, taking care not to spread it too thickly. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of coconut over the grated topping
6. Put the tray back in the oven for a further 20 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven, allow to cool and cut into squares.