CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICH COOKIES
A homemade nutty version of a store-bought favourite, these buttercream-filled chocolate cookies taste extra good with a glass of milk!
Preparation: 45 minutes
Baking: 9 minutes
Ready In: 55 minutes
Servings: 12 – 18 Cookies, depending on size
310 ml SUPREME Cake Wheat Flour
125 ml Unsweetened cocoa
5 ml Bicarbonate of soda
1.25 ml baking powder
Pinch of salt
330 g Sugar
150 g Unsalted butter at room temperature
1 Large egg
30 g Peanut butter – smooth
95 g Unsalted butter at room temperature
260 g Sifted icing sugar
10 ml Vanilla essence
30 ml Milk
To make the cookies:
1. Set two racks in the middle of the oven and pre-heat it to 180°C. In a food processor or bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix all dry ingredients for the cookies. On low speed, or while pulsing the processor, add the butter and then the egg.
2. Continue processing or mixing until dough comes together in a mass. It will be a very stiff, very dry dough (this is what it’s supposed to look like).
3. Take a rounded tablespoon of dough and place approximately 5cm apart on a baking tray lined with baking paper. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once for even baking. The cookies will look puffy, which is correct. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool and thump them slightly to make the cookies deflate, or press them down with the back of a spoon.
To make the filling:
4. Place butter in a mixing bowl and, at a low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 – 3 minutes until the filling is light and fluffy.
5. To assemble the cookies, use a star nozzle; pipe a rose of cream into the centre of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press it, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie.
6. Chill for 10 minutes to firm up. Serve at room temperature.