APPLE CRUMBLE PIE
Best served warm with pouring cream or custard.
Preparation: 1 hour 30 minutes
Baking: 1 hour
Ready In: 2 hours 30 minutes
Servings: 1 Crumble
For the pastry:
225 g SUPREME Cake Wheat Flour
50 g Icing sugar
Pinch of salt
250 g Butter, cubed and room temperature
1 Egg yolk
250 ml Cold water
For the filling:
1 kg Granny Smith apples, peeled and roughly cubed
100 ml Lemon juice
60 ml Castor sugar
60 ml Brown sugar
45 ml SUPREME Cake Wheat Flour
5 ml Cinnamon
5 ml Cloves
5 ml Nutmeg
5 ml Ginger
5 ml Ground cardamom
1 Egg for egg wash
1. Sift flour, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour.
2. Make a hole in the centre of the flour and mix in the egg yolk. Slowly add as much of the water as needed to form a slightly wet, elastic dough. Divide the pastry into two – ¼ for the top and ¾ for the base, cover with cling film and place in the fridge for ten minutes.
3. Place the base pastry onto a floured surface and roll out to ½ cm thick. Line a well-greased 25 cm tart tin with the pastry. Line with baking paper and top with baking beans. Chill for 15 minutes. Place into a pre-heated oven of 180°C to bake blind* for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry has set and is starting to brown slightly.
4. Take out of the oven and remove the baking beans. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
5. While waiting for the pastry to cook, toss peeled apples in lemon juice. Add the sugars, flour and ground spices.
6. Fill the tart case with the apple mixture and grate the remaining quarter of the pastry over the top of the crumble. It may grate more easily if it is frozen.
7. Place the pie back into the oven for 20 – 25 minutes allowing to cook the apples through.
8. Then remove the pie from the oven. Brush with egg wash and return to the oven to brown the top of the crumble which should be about 10 minutes.
*BAKING BLIND: This is done to prevent a soggy crust. The pastry is lined with baking paper and filled with dried beans or rice and then baked prior to filling.