BILTONG AND FETA QUICHE
A delicious take on a favourite South African snack!
For the pastry:
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a quiche tin
- Place all ingredients except the egg and water into the food processor and blend until it looks like bread crumbs
- Then add the egg and blitz until just combined
- Slowly add the cold water a teaspoon at a time until the pastry comes together – you may not need it all.
- Once it has formed a smooth dough, remove from the processor, pat into a disk shape and chill for about 30 -45 minutes.
- Dust a work surface and roll out the dough to about 3-4mm thick. using the rolling pin, roll the dough onto the rolling pin and place it over the tart tin and unroll the dough to sit over the tin. Using your fingertips, press the pastry into the tin evenly making sure it is the same thickness all over.
- Prick with a fork, line with baking paper and fill with either baking beads or rice to blind bake.
- Bake at 180C for 25 minutes and then remove the paper and beads/rice. Bake for a further 10 minutes until the pastry is golden
- To make the filling, combine the eggs, egg yolks, sour cream and beef stock and whisk to combine.
- Layer the crumbled feta and sliced biltong into the quiche base
- Next sprinkle over the chopped parsley and then pour in the egg mixture
- Bake in a 180C oven for 30 minutes or until the egg custard is just set, still has a slight wobble in the center. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Serve with a simple salad or as a part of a larger lunch spread.