Preparation: 1 hour
Baking: 10 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour 10 minutes
Servings: Rock Buns
- 1 kg Plain scone off-cuts
- 0.260 kg Water
- 1.140 kg Baker’s mix
- Place scone offcuts into a mixing bowl fitted with a flat beater.
- With the machine set on SLOW speed, add the water. DO NOT OVER MIX, AND NEVER SWITCH THE MACHINE TO SPEED 3!
- Add Baker’s Mix during the last few seconds of mixing to avoid damaging the fruit.
- Once a smooth dough has been achieved, switch off the machine. Mixing time should be around 30 seconds.
- Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes, covered with a plastic sheet to avoid skinning.
- Hand drop the mixture onto a greaseproof paper lined baking sheet.
- Allow rock buns to dry prove in the bakery for 30 minutes.
- Egg wash the surface and sprinkle with white sugar.
- Bake at 230°C for ± 10 minutes.
We add water or milk to the dough to loosen it, making it easier to work with. The unbaked dough should be looser, and more elastic than scone dough. A handmade, "irregular" shape is what you’re looking for when hand-dropping the mix onto the tray.