- 12.5 kg Continental Rye Prepared Mix
- 0.5 kg Yeast (Compressed) or ⅓ for dry yeast
- ± 7.75 L Water
- Place Prepared Mix, yeast and water into a suitable mixing machine (Spiral recommended).
- Mix in a spiral mixer for 2 minutes on slow speed and 4 minutes on fast speed. (For best results, DO NOT over mix the dough).
- Final dough temperature must be between 29 and 30°C.
- After mixing, place the dough in bulk on a table, cover with a plastic sheet, and rest for 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough pieces into the prescribed weight, cover with plastic, and rest for a further 10 minutes.
- Mould pieces by hand into the desired shape.
- Place dough into a flour dusted fluted cane basket.
- Allow to dry prove in the bakery. It is not necessary to place in a prover.
- Prove for approximately 40 minutes.
- Carefully remove the rye from the basket, place on a greased baking sheet, and place on trolleys.
- Score the dough surface using a sharp knife, taking care not to collapse the product.
- Place the trolley into a preheated oven at 250°C, and use liberal amounts of steam.
- After 5 minutes, open the oven damper, and reduce the oven temperature to 200°C.
- Bake for a further 25 minutes. For optimum flavour, the rye bread must not be underbaked.
- Once cool, wrap the rye to maximise shelf life.
N.B: Mixing times, yeast and water quantities, oven temperatures and baking times are merely a guide and need to be adjusted to suit local bakery and machinery conditions.
Preparation: 3 hours
Baking: 30 minutes
Ready In: 3 hours 30 minutes
Servings: ± 42 Loaves at 500g